JMS uses an inquiry-based International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP).
In the Early Years and Primary, students learning is focused on the foundation of mathematics, English and science amidst a well-balanced arts, music and sports programme.
- Specialist subjects in Primary Years include:
- Visual Arts
- Physical Education
- Indonesian Studies
All JMS students are International Baccalaureate (IB) candidates. Students take the IB Diploma Program as described below.
Students who are selected for IB courses should demonstrate significant academic achievement and a high level of motivation and commitment.
The IB programs for all JMS students require study of six subjects:
- Language A (first language or language of instruction)
- Language B (second language)
- Social Studies
- Experimental Sciences
- A further option (possibly Art, Music, Performing Arts, or a supplementary subject from Groups 1-4)
- and a CORE: Individual Project (Extended Essay or Senior Project), TOK (optional for IB Courses program) and the CAS (Creativity, Action and Service)
To earn an IB Diploma, three of the six subjects must be offered at the Higher Level and the rest at the Standard Level.
All Higher Level subjects and Standard Level subjects are studied over two years. At the Higher Level, course work covers a greater range and depth of content and requires more instructional time.
The core of Extended Essay, TOK (Theory of Knowledge) and CAS are required to earn the IB Diploma.
The IB DP in Secondary Year 11 and Year 12 is a two-year pre-university course of studies leading to examinations which allows JMS graduates to fulfil requirements of various well-respected national and international universities.
It truly prepares students for success in higher education and to be active participants in a global society.